Voglio viaggiare per il mondo!

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Taiwan: Food Galore (Hsi-men Ding)

Any Taiwanese will tell you that the absolute die die must try stalls at the popular teenage hangout Hsi-men Ding are Ah Zhong Mian Xian (阿宗面线) and Ya Rou Bian (鸭肉扁).

Ah Zhong Mian Xian (阿宗面线)

I tried a bit from Joel and Huey Woon who were sharing a bowl. Ah Zhong has maintained the standard of the mee sua really well since the last time I tried. The starchy gravy is savoury and makes you want more. The mee sua is so smooth it slithers down your throat and the pig intestines are very chewy. The price has increased to NT40, like most stalls in Taiwan, and you have to stand outside the stall to eat the noodles.



















Ya Rou Bian (鸭肉扁)

This stall is extremely popular among the Taiwanese and it is not surprising to see any 2 Taiwanese schoolgirls sharing half a duck. You can choose to order a bowl of noodles or beehoon (NT50), but only one slice of duck is given. So, on top of that, we ordered another plate of duck (NT150) to share between 3 people. The soup based noodles/beehoon has a generous serving of beansprouts and the soup is very tasty. The duck meat served at Ya Rou Bian is actually a breed between duck and goose. Thus, the taste is slightly gamier than duck but also more tender. You cannot find anything that tastes quite like this in Singapore (you might be able to find it in Hong Kong), so pls try!















Smelly Beancurd (臭豆腐)

You will never ever catch me near any smelly tofu stall in the past. So, for me to try this famous snack is a real shocker. Credits to Wen Wei and Joel for forcing me to try. We went to this vegetarian smelly tofu place which I specifically remember avoiding last time due to the pungent smell. This time round, I actually went into the shop to sit. The smell didn't seem that bad anymore, maybe cuz I was more open to trying the dish after seeing it on Discovery Travel and Living (my fav tv channel btw). It was surprisingly good. They gave some pickled vegetables and chilli to go along with it. It's like durian, it's all in the smell but the taste is definitely not as bad as the smell. It's like eating normal tofu, except of a different variation. Basically, I'm fairly open to anything fried, but as for the steamed version of smelly tofu, I think that'd take me another couple of years to pluck up the courage! It's times like this when the foodie in me disappears for awhile ;)