Voglio viaggiare per il mondo!

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Famous Pontian Wanton Noodles, Marine Parade Road















They call themselves famous. Well, I suppose they do have the right to..kinda stand out from other wanton noodles since they handmake their noodles, resulting in the springy, chewy and more bouncy noodles.

I saw many ppl eating the wanton mee when I was there with my church camp group. We were there on an amazing race like game, so it was quite a fluster as we were trying to find the famous Apollo Char Kway Teow at the Marine Parade food centre. But what caught my eye, and I couldnt help noticing, was that a lot of ppl were eating the same thing - Pontian Wanton Mee. So I told myself that I have to try those. And yesterday, I went down specially to try out those noodles. Initially, i thought i made a wasted trip when I saw a wanton mee stall that was closed. But when I went to the next lane, there the stall was. You can't really miss it - bright signboard with pictures of crispy wanton and them calling themselves famous.


I ordered the dry wanton mee ($2.50/$3). Their chilli is quite good, although if you are concerned that it might musk the taste of the noodles, you might want to order it without chilli, in which case they will add some kinda dark sauce and tomato ketchup (if requested) to the mee. They ran out of fried wanton so everyone had to queue for quite sometime b4 getting our food. When my mee came, I was pleasantly surprised that there were 2 boiled wantons in the soup and 2 fried ones with the mee. Portion was small, so I would say that the $3 order would be manageable for the ladies. The char siew is typical but good. And the pork lard is fried to a wonderful crisp - to me that was one of the best parts ;) to think i never used to eat lard. Now to review on the boiled wanton - like all local wanton mee stalls, this one disappoints with the lack of filling. you only get the real deal with pork and a whole prawn in HK style wanton noodles. but i hafta give credit to them, for the pork was well seasoned and the soup was quite flavorful. The finale comes when you try the crispy wanton (then you realise why they are famous). It tastes like fried chicken (not the correct symbolism perhaps). but the wanton crumbles when you take the first bite. That's how crispy it is. Definitely recommended for a light slightly decadent treat. It's not expensive too, going at 14 pcs for $2.50 - it's a must try! Just don't order their wanton soup ($2.50)..judging by the tiny wantons in my soup, I dun think it'll be any good as compared to their crispy counterparts.

Finally, I must talk about their green chilli. Well-known local chef Sam Leong ever said that wanton mee is not wanton mee without green chilli. If you take green chilli, you'll be pleased to note that Pontian serves freshly cut green chilli. Beautiful color too. It irks me to see dying green chilli drowning in vinegar. No aesthetic appeal there that's for sure.